The birth of a POWIL - the freedom to wear what you want on the bike

Last year I came across this article on BBC: Do cyclists have to be slim to wear lycra? The point of said article being apparently that normal sized or larger than average cyclists should not wear lycra because it doesn't look 'elegant'. What the f$ck man!!!! I was seriously pissed off. I was fuming. I was ready to throw the British cycling champion who was quoted to the proverbial wolves in this blog. Later, however, I investigated the source column, Sir Chris Hoy on what to wear when you ride, and found that it was much more nuanced than presented in the BBC article. And after some outrage he also apologized to the public saying it was never his intention to offend. I don't know him, maybe he meant it, maybe he didn't. Nonetheless lycra prejudice and body shaming prevails and remains a current issue. I cannot count the number of times I have heard friends and strangers describe a fear of going out in revealing clothing and quite often not doing it as a result of that fear.

So I want to make two points.
First of all, whatever your shape, people should not tell you what (not) to wear. The impression is created by these kinds of statements that 'slim' people can wear what they want but overweight (or tall, or thin or whatever shape outside of the norm) people should only wear flappy clothing that covers up the offensive shapes. Why is a bit larger belly/bottom or a bony knee/shoulder perceived as offensive? That kind of attitude says more about the one thinking or saying it.

I do not care what people wear when they cycle or do other sports. And you should not either. The first and foremost thought in your mind should be comfort. Wear clothing that is comfortable, quickly dries your sweat, prevents saddle chafing, and is form-fitting and not flapping about. No one should tell you what to wear based on how you are shaped. If you want to go out cycling in your pyjamas or a dress or a pantsuit instead of lycra that is your choice. I myself have worn lycra, work clothes, skirts, a swimsuit, and a ballgown on the bike (yes the ballgown makes for a nice anecdote, I cannot recommend it in hindsight, it caught in my spokes... but maybe that had something to do with the amount of alcohol consumed ;) )

Secondly, I salute everyone who is uncertain about their body that goes out there and is active in the world. It is so positive and brave that people who do not look like super-thin actors or models (read 99,99% of the world), go out there and be active and healthy. In fact I would like to apply the flip-thinking method (omdenken sounds better in Dutch) here and state that people in general should applaud and encourage friends and acquaintances and strangers for overcoming their body shame issues for getting out there and being healthy and active. And believe me most normal people (both men and women) are ashamed of their bodies, including me. Also I would encourage you to try not to talk down yourself. You can go out there in lycra or other sport clothes as well, just believe it and do it! Talk to yourself as if you were your best friend! What would you say? 

My personal experience of 20 years of cycling in lycra is that only on very rare occasions (<5) have I been eyed negatively or have been on the receiving end of unkind observations. Most people, except apparently some Olympic champions, are actually nice. Of course the relatively rare amount of times says nothing about the impact such matters have on ones state of mind or fears...

I have decided as of today to become a POWIL*; a pissed off woman in lycra or in other words also a proud overweight woman in lycra. Who is with me?!
POWIL doing cool stuff most people only dream of doing

*powil is based on the term mamil (middle aged man in lycra)


And, by the way Sir Hoy, people on the continent (I live there) do actually wear lycra quite a lot!

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts